LRN Numbers in the Philippines – What are they? How do I get one?

LRN Numbers in the Philippines – What are they? How do I get one?

LRN stands for a Learner Reference Number and it uniquely identifies a student as part of the Department of Education (DepEd) system.

Parents with children going to Kindergarden should ensure that their school issues a Learning Reference Number.  Only schools which are accredited by DepEd will be able to issue and apply for a unique LRN number for a child.

The reason it is so important to get an LRN number is that for some students who entered Kindergarden in a non-accredited DepEd preschool, they may not be allowed to enter Grade 1 and will have to either (1) Repeat Kindergarden in a DepEd accredited preschool or (2) take the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) which is only offered a few times a year.

The LRN should be automatically issued by schools who are DepEd accredited and parents should be able to ask their school principal or registrar for the unique LRN number that will identify their student in the Philippine educational system until they graduate in Senior High School. Even later into adult life, this number will be used to verify credentials such as high school records.

It is the school’s responsibility to be registered in the Learning Information System (LIS) based on DepEd order 22, Series of 2012 ( The school will be responsible for applying for the LRN of a student, and also ensuring that their current students know their LRN.

Parents should be wary of choosing only DepEd accredited schools, the most recent article on unaccredited or “Colorum” schools in 2011 showed that around 25% of private schools do not have DepEd accreditation – ( In the case that parents enroll their child in an unaccredited school, they face the risk of not be allowed by official school organizations to enroll and their previous academic records may not be credited.

If your child attended a non-accredited school, they may first have to take the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) by registering in the nearest DepEd office. You may find the contact information at The registration is typically done from July to August, however alternative dates may be offered. Once your child has passed the PEPT, you can enroll in an accredited DepEd school who can then register your child for the Learner Reference Number (LRN).

By simply knowing your child’s learner reference number (LRN), you will be able to have peace of mind knowing all their academic achievements will be properly and duly accredited by the Department of Education.

February 12, 2020 / 4 Comments / by / in
  • Leizl Callaghan says:

    My son is studying in India but the school dont provide a form 137 and there is no LRN number. We can only provide report card,Tranfer Certificate and a Good moral character. I really need helpwhat other papers we can give other than LarN number and form 137

    • admin says:

      if its an Indian school, get your official Transcript of Records and your school in the Philippines should coordinate with DepEd on how to treat foreign transcripts.

  • Marvin James R. Llorin says:

    I don’t know my lrn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *