Basic Education

Form 138 in the Philippines – Meaning and Uses

What is form 138?

Form 138 (Report Card) is a document that shows the academic performance of the student in a given school year. It’s a report that details the level or percent performance of the student in each subject.

Why do you need Form 138?

A student needs the form 138 for reasons such as transferring schools and scholarship applications etc… It is a necessity for schools and admissions office to get a handle of your academic performance. At the end of the school year, Form 138 is a required document for a learner enrolling to the next grade level as it also indicates the learner’s promotional status… In the absence of definitive protocols, the process of requesting and releasing of official school records of learners varies per school.

How does one get access to Form 138?

This form has to be acquired from the office the school and then one must request for the class advisor or principal/headmaster of the school to fill up the paper. If your child is going to transfer schools, apply for scholarships or if you just want to see their academic performance throughout the years; it is best to have soft copies of each form 138 per year level.

What is the difference between Form 138 and Form 137?

Form 138 (Report card) is what we give to the parents and the students to reflect their performance on the said grading period and grade level. Whereas Form 137 is the Permanent Record form which is only tangible by the school enrolled and/or the school the student will be transferring to.

Who fills up the form?

The form is filled up by the advisor in the class, corresponding subject teachers and the principal. Once these are done and signed, the form is now ready for sending of applications etc… from Year 1-10 the form will be accessible annually, but for year 11 and 12 it will be accessible after every term. It should be the schools duty to release these forms to the students periodically, as it is vital to monitoring the students performance throughout. If your school does not provide these on a regular basis you must ask the principal or headmaster to do so.

Students should always be aware of their grades and their performance and how it’s written down in the admission forms etc… as most schools base admission on academic performance via the ability to “grow academically”, extra curricular activities and permanent records. If your child is in the graduating years of 11 and 12, having access to these documents every term is a good thing, as it can determine which subjects need improvement and which need maintaining.

February 7, 2021 / by / in , ,
LRN Numbers in the Philippines – What are they? How do I get one?

LRN stands for a Learner Reference Number and it uniquely identifies a student as part of the Department of Education (DepEd) system.

Parents with children going to Kindergarden should ensure that their school issues a Learning Reference Number.  Only schools which are accredited by DepEd will be able to issue and apply for a unique LRN number for a child.

The reason it is so important to get an LRN number is that for some students who entered Kindergarden in a non-accredited DepEd preschool, they may not be allowed to enter Grade 1 and will have to either (1) Repeat Kindergarden in a DepEd accredited preschool or (2) take the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) which is only offered a few times a year.

The LRN should be automatically issued by schools who are DepEd accredited and parents should be able to ask their school principal or registrar for the unique LRN number that will identify their student in the Philippine educational system until they graduate in Senior High School. Even later into adult life, this number will be used to verify credentials such as high school records.

It is the school’s responsibility to be registered in the Learning Information System (LIS) based on DepEd order 22, Series of 2012 ( The school will be responsible for applying for the LRN of a student, and also ensuring that their current students know their LRN.

Parents should be wary of choosing only DepEd accredited schools, the most recent article on unaccredited or “Colorum” schools in 2011 showed that around 25% of private schools do not have DepEd accreditation – ( In the case that parents enroll their child in an unaccredited school, they face the risk of not be allowed by official school organizations to enroll and their previous academic records may not be credited.

If your child attended a non-accredited school, they may first have to take the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) by registering in the nearest DepEd office. You may find the contact information at The registration is typically done from July to August, however alternative dates may be offered. Once your child has passed the PEPT, you can enroll in an accredited DepEd school who can then register your child for the Learner Reference Number (LRN).

By simply knowing your child’s learner reference number (LRN), you will be able to have peace of mind knowing all their academic achievements will be properly and duly accredited by the Department of Education.

February 12, 2020 / 4 Comments / by / in